Rent or Security Deposit Assistance

Where can I go for rent or security deposit assistance?

For Households Facing Hardship Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic:
COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) also known as Phase 4:CLOSED
o To check the status of an existing application, visit
COVID-19 Homelessness Prevention Funds
o Congreso: Email
o Esperanza: Email
o UESF COVID-19 Fund: Phone: 888-798-COVD (2683), Email:
For Low-Income Households:
Office of Homeless Services (OHS): Not accepting in-person applications at 1430 Cherry St.
o Phone: 215-686-7177: Assistance generally ranges from $0 – $1500
Philadelphia County Assistance Office: Not accepting applications at this time.
o Phone: 215-560-1976, Address: 801 Market Street (near 8th & Market)
o Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm
o Very low-income tenants only.Assistance generally ranges from $0 – $400
United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey
o Referral only. Phone: 211
Asociación Puertorriqueños en Marcha: Accepting applications by appointment only.
o Phone: 215-235-6070, Address: 600 Diamond St
Catholic Social Services (CSS): Accepting applications at all locations by appointment only.
o Help Line: 267-331-2490
o CSS Northeast Family Service Center
o Phone: 215-624-5920, Address: 7340 Jackson St (near Cottman & Torresdale)
o CSS Southwest Family Service Center
o Phone: 215-724-8550, Address: 6214 Grays St (near 62nd & Elmwood)
o CSS North, Casa del Carmen Family Service Center
o Phone: 267-331-2490, Address: 4400 N Reese St (near 5th & Cayuga)
HACE: Accepting applications at all locations by appointment only.
o Frankford Ave
o Phone: 215-437-7867, Address: 4660 Frankford Ave
o Allegheny Ave
o Address: 167 W Allegheny Ave, Phone: 215-426-8025
New Kensington CDC: Accepting applications by phone.
o Phone: 215-427-0350
People’s Emergency Center: Accepting applications by phone or online.
o Phone: 267-777-5800
o Web:
Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network (PIHN): Accepting applications by phone.
o Phone: 215-247-4663, Address: 7047 Germantown Ave (near Mt. Pleasant Ave)
For Families with Children in Philadelphia Schools
UESF Family Program: Accepting applications by phone or email.
o Address: 1608 Walnut St, Suite 600, Phone: 215-972-5170
o Email:
For Survivors of Domestic Violence
Congreso de Latinos Unidos: Accepting applications by phone.
o Phone: 215-763-8870
Lutheran Settlement House: Accepting applications by phone.
o Phone: (215) 426.8610 ext. 1236
For Veterans
Veterans Multi-Service Center: Accepting applications in person or by phone.
o Address: 213-217 North 4th Street, Phone: 215-923-2600
o Grants available for veterans and/or families of veterans.
UESF Veterans Program: Accepting applications by phone.
o Address: 1608 Walnut Street, Suite 600, Phone: 215-814-6888
o Email:
For Residents of Northwest Philadelphia
19118, 19119, 19126, 19138, 19144 & 19150
Germantown Avenue Crisis Ministry: Accepting applications by phone. Processing may be delayed.
o Monday through Wednesday, 9AM-2PM
o Phone: 215-843-2340, Address: 35 West Chelten Avenue
o Assistance generally ranges from $300 – $400
For Families with Children Involved in DHS
DHS Prevention Assistance Fund
o Contact your case manager or social worker.
For Households with a Person Living with HIV
o Direct Emergency Financial Assistance (DEFA) grant
o AIDS Fund: All Walks of Life grant
Contact your case manager. If you do not have a case manager, call the AIDS Activities Coordinating Office (AACO) Hotline at 1-800-985-2437.
For Utility Assistance
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
LIHEAP Grants and Crisis Grants available beginning November 2021
o Online:
o Phone: 215-560-1583, Address: 1348 Sedgley Ave
Low Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
Can pay up to $5000 in past due water bills.
o Apply online
o Apply at your Local County Assistance Office.
o Apply by mail by completing this paper application or call 215-560-7226 to request a paper application by mail.
UESF Utility Grant Program
o Phone: 215-814-6837, Email:
What do I need?
o Photo ID for all household members age 18 and over.
o Social Security cards and Birth Certificates for all household members.
o Proof of Income
o Pay stubs (for last thirty days)
o Employment letter (hrs, pay date(s), wages/salary)
o Award Letter from Social Security office
o Any other documentation of income
o Proof of Assets such as bank statements or inheritance award letters
o Lease Agreement
o Eviction Notice and/or Court Documents
What do I need from my landlord?
o Rental License also called a Housing Inspection License
o Certificate of Rental Suitability
o W-9 signed by landlord
o Letter with current rental balance signed and dated by landlord